Lungs are the pair of organs located in the chest of human body. Lungs are very important for the transfer of oxygen and exclusion of carbon dioxide from the body. It also protects your airways from the harmful substance. Your lungs may become less elastic as your age and your breathing muscles may weaken. Your lungs’ capacity to store air and their ability to exchange oxygen and carbon dioxide effectively are both decreased as a result. You can improve your healthy performance, have more energy, and general health by expanding your lung capacity. Exercise help to increase the lung capacity to provide energy to body. According to the research the maximum lung capacity to hold air is 6 liters. In this blog, we will discuss the simple exercises to increase the lung capacity.
How To Increase Lung Capacity with Simple Exercises
We can increase lung capacity by doing these simple exercises such as:
It is also called abdominal and belly breathing exercises. Practice this deep-breathing technique for a few minutes daily to strengthen your diaphragm and expand lung capacity.
- Sit comfortably and place one hand on your belly and the other on your chest.
- Inhale deeply through your nose, allowing your belly to rise without straining your chest.
- Exhale slowly through your mouth, contracting your belly inward.
Pursed lip breathing is an exercise in which a person controls the how much oxygen enters and leaves from the lungs. It is very beneficial for increasing lungs capacity and make them strong.
- Inhale deeply through your nose.
- Exhale slowly through pursed lips, as if you are blowing out a candle.
- This technique helps regulate the release of air, reducing the chances of breathlessness and improving lung function.
Deep coughing is a simple exercise which is help to clear lungs. This exercise helps increase lung capacity by expanding and clearance the lungs.
- Inhale deeply and hold your breath for a few seconds.
- Perform a strong and controlled cough to clear your airways.
In rib stretching the stretching and expanding of ribs helps your lungs to take as much oxygen as possible. Do this exercise to stretch and strengthen your intercostal muscles which helps in breathing.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, put your hands on your hips and keep your elbows out to the sides.
- Take a deep breath in and expand your ribcage by pushing your hands outward.
- Exhale slowly and bring your hands back to your hips.
The effort required in doing deep squats helps to improve your cardiovascular health and increase the capacity of your lungs. Deep squats strengthen the lower body muscles and also enhance overall lung function.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Lower into a squat position and extend your arms in front of you.
- Inhale as you lower and exhale as you increase back up.
Deep squats strengthen the lower body muscles and also enhance overall lung function.
Jumping jacks are the best exercise for increasing lung capacity and it is very enjoyable. Repeating this exercise helps maximize lung capacity and stimulates deep breathing.
- Stand with your feet together and arms by your side.
- Jump while spreading your feet wider than hip-width apart and raise your arms overhead.
- Jump again and return to the starting position.
Plank is a simple exercise you can do it without anyone’s help. It is also helpful in losing weight and increasing the lung’s capacity. Plank exercise can strengthen the core and improve the overall breathing procedure.
- Assume a push-up position with your hands directly below your shoulders and extend your legs.
- Keep your body straight and your core engaged.
- Breathe deeply and hold the position for as long as you can.
Standing back bend is the best exercise to make your spine flexible and increase your lungs capacity. These backbends stretch and strengthen the muscles surrounding your lungs, increasing their capacity.
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart and put your hands on your lower back.
- Slowly lean back and arced your spine and open your chest.
- Breathe deeply in this position for a few breaths before returning to the starting position.
Just like simple walking it helps to increase heart rate and improve the lung capacity. Incline walking challenges your cardiovascular system and expands your lung capacity.
- You can use electronic machines such as a treadmill to find an inclined surface.
- Walk energetically uphill and focus on deep and regular breathing.
It is performed with cupped hands and helps to increase the lung’s capacity.
- Lie down and have someone gently tap your chest and back using cupped hands.
- This technique helps loosen mucus and clears the airways, improving lung capacity.
Swimming is the best exercise for the increase of flexibility of muscles and also helps to increase lungs capacity.
- Engage in various swimming strokes such as freestyle or butterfly.
- The resistance created by the water engages both your upper and lower body together that helps to enhance breathing muscles and increasing lung capacity.
- Sit comfortably and close your eyes.
- Breathe in deeply through your nose and counting to four.
- Hold your breath for a count of four and then exhale slowly through your mouth for a count of four.
Resistance training exercises involve pushing and pulling against the specific object. Include exercises like weightlifting and resistance band exercises or using any weight machines. Resistance training increases lung capacity by strengthening the respiratory muscles.
Aerobic exercises are very Engage in activities like running for half hour, cycling for minimum fifteen minutes, or brisk walking can help to improve lung capacity. They help to increase heart rate and help in oxygen intake and expand lung capacity with time.
In conclusion, by including these easy and simple exercises into your daily routine regularly and consistently will increase your lungs capacity. Remember that consulting with a healthcare professional before starting any new exercise schedule is essential for avoid any query. With time and dedication, you will notice an improvement in your lung capacity and respiratory function that automatically improve your overall health by doing planks and jumping jack or you can do yoga practice yoga poses such as the Cobra and the Mountain Pose. Yoga helps to expand lung capacity, enhances flexibility, and promotes relaxation.