For many, achieving voluminous hair can seem like an impossible dream if you’re plagued by fine, thin strands that lack body. However, the proper haircare regimen focused on nourishment and lift can work wonders. In this in-depth guide, we’ll explore highly-rated Hair Thickening Shampoo and the critical ingredients within to transform even the limpest locks. We’ll provide specific product recommendations for various hair types, share application techniques, and debunk common myths about hair thickness. By the end, you’ll know how to select the optimal volumizing shampoo tailored to your unique hair goals. Let’s dive deeper into maximizing your hair’s full potential!
Critical Ingredients for Natural Volume
Specific components have been clinically shown to aid thickness when used topically. Here are the top volumizing ingredients explained in greater detail:
- Biotin – This B vitamin is essential for keratin production within the hair follicle. Taking a biotin supplement can support growth over time. Look for at least 2,500mcg daily for results.
- Keratin – As the main protein in hair, keratin gives strands their structure and strength. Hydrolyzed keratin is easily absorbed to repair damage from tools/dyes. Wheat and soy are familiar sources.
- Argan Oil – Loaded with omega-6 and -9 fatty acids as well as vitamin E, argan hydrates without heaviness. It allows hair to retain moisture between washes for bouncy volume.
- Seaweed Extracts – Kelp and algae gently exfoliate the scalp, removing buildup, sebum, and environmental aggressors that can weigh hair down. They condition strands lightly for texture.
- Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein – Similar to keratin in makeup, wheat protein reinforces hair fibers from the inside out. Wheat amino acids strengthen and plump strands noticeably.
While these ingredients effectively boost volume, their concentrations vary between products. Carefully comparing ingredient lists can help select the ideal formula. Let’s explore specific shampoo recommendations next.
Hair Thickening Shampoo for Fine, Thin Hair Types
If your strands are wispy or lack body, these volumizing shampoos can make a visible difference:
- OGX Biotin & Collagen Thickening Shampoo – A drugstore favorite, this cleanser leverages 2,500 biotin and hydrolyzed collagen to nourish each fiber for lift and fullness. Its lightweight formula cleanses fine hair gently without stripping it of its natural oils or volume.
- Bumble and Bumble Thickening Shampoo – Enriched with ginger extract to invigorate the scalp, this adds visible root-to-tip volume. It leaves fine hair bouncy and conditioned without heaviness or residue.
- R+Co Dallas Thickening Shampoo – This blend of hydrolyzed wheat amino acids, keratin, and purifying sage extract tackles both oil control and volume boost, leaving hair looking thicker all day long.
- Redken Brews Thick Brew Thickening Shampoo – Hydrolyzed wheat and soy proteins strengthen and plump fine strands noticeably without weighing them down. It is excellent for frequent use between dye jobs, too.
Thickening Shampoos for Oily Hair and Flat Styles
If excess sebum or heavy products are causing limpness, these formulas effectively cleanse roots while adding body:
- R+Co Television Perfect Shampoo – This blend purifies hair and scalp with absorbent kaolin clay to remove buildup causing flatness. Wheat protein and biotin add visible lift and bounce.
- Briogeo Scalp Revival Charcoal + Coconut Oil Micro-Exfoliating Shampoo – Activated charcoal deeply cleanses oily roots for volume, while coconut conditions end lightly without heaviness or residue.
- R+Co High Dive Moisturizing Shampoo – A rich yet lightweight cleanser that still absorbs excess oils for buoyant, bouncy hair that stays looking fuller all day long.
Hair Thickening Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair
If frequent dye jobs have left your hair porous and damaged, repairing volumizers can restore body and shine:
- Olaplex No.4C Blonde Enhancer Shampoo – Maintains blonde tones expertly while soy and wheat proteins strengthen and plump strands from within for natural-looking volume and softness.
- Joico Volume Lift Hair Thickening Shampoo for Color Treated Hair – Biotin, collagen, and hydrolyzed wheat revive limp, porous hair after chemical processing. It conditions without weight for lift and body.
- Wella Invigo Volume Shampoo – Fortified with hydrolyzed wheat and soy, this cleanser repairs and volumizes hair compromised by dye without stripping its color payoff.
Thickening Shampoos for Wavy and Curly Hair
These formulas cleanse gently while adding volume and definition without heaviness or frizz:
- DevaCurl One Condition Decadence Volumizing Shampoo – Coconut-derived surfactants lift curls and waves lightly—aloe and hydrolyzed quinoa repair damage for softness and clumping.
- As I Am Dry & Itchy Scalp Care Coconut Cowash – A moisturizing co-wash cleanser that soothes irritation and flakiness. It cleanses the scalp without stripping definition or weight from curls and coils.
- Not Your Mother’s Naturally Straight Seaweed Volumizing Shampoo – Seaweed extract exfoliates buildup and conditions strands for bounce, volume, and frizz control without heaviness in straight, wavy, or curly hair.
Tips for Maximizing Volume
To fully benefit from Hair Thickening Shampoo, follow these best practices:
- Focus lather on roots to stimulate the scalp area for fullness.
- Rinse with your head flipped over to let water flow from sources to ends.
- Apply volumizing shampoo only 2-3 times weekly to avoid stripping hair.
- Use a volumizing mousse, spray, or powder on towel-dried hair before styling.
- Protect hair from heat tools when possible to prevent damage over time.
- Consider scalp exfoliation 1-2 times weekly to remove buildup and encourage circulation.
- Use a satin pillowcase or scarf to maintain smoothness and volume overnight.
Myths About Thickening Hair Naturally
While certain ingredients like biotin support thickness over time, be wary of claims that seem too good to be true. Here are some myths debunked:
Castor Oil – Great for hair/skin but doesn’t penetrate the scalp to induce growth. Topical use alone won’t thicken hair noticeably.
Onion Juice – There is no evidence this homemade remedy increases density in the long term. It may cause skin/scalp irritation.
Eggs – The protein assists bonds between strands for fullness but won’t generate new hairs on its own.
Garlic – This may stimulate circulation slightly but won’t make a meaningful impact on thickness from topical use.
While these old wives’ tales are harmless, don’t expect miracles overnight. Consistency with clinically-backed thickening products and a healthy lifestyle are most effective.
The Importance of a Healthy Scalp
A healthy, balanced scalp is crucial to achieving maximum volume from Hair Thickening Shampoo and products. Issues like dryness, flakiness, product buildup, or dandruff can disrupt the scalp’s natural sebum production and hair growth cycle over time. Exfoliating the scalp 1-2 times per week using a gentle scrub or microfiber cloth can slough away dead skin and debris clogging follicles. Massaging the scalp during washing also stimulates circulation. Speaking to your dermatologist about scalp health is recommended if issues persist.
Diet and Lifestyle Factors for Thicker Hair
While topical products provide benefits, making positive changes to your overall diet and lifestyle can further support hair thickness goals naturally. Eating a balanced diet rich in proteins, healthy fats, vitamins C and B6/B12, iron, and zinc through foods like salmon, spinach, and eggs nourishes hair from the inside. You are managing stress, staying hydrated, avoiding harsh heat tools, and protective styles that don’t pull tight on strands, which also help hair thrive. Consistency is key – it takes time to see results, so be patient and focus on maintaining healthy habits long-term.